The American Iron and Steel Institute’s Mission is to influence public policy, educate and shape public opinion in support of a strong, sustainable American steel industry committed to manufacturing products that meet society’s needs.
To further this mission, AISI:
- Focuses on the advocacy of public policy issues central to the steel industry, issues where AISI can make an impact and issues where there is strong member alignment.
- Informs and educates opinion leaders about the American steel industry’s strategic importance to national and economic security.
- Communicates the benefits that the industry’s technological advances are making to the health and safety of its workforce and to the environment.
- Collects and provides industry data to policymakers, company personnel and the public regarding steel operations, production, energy efficiency, shipments, import/export levels and consumption.
- Assists member companies in attracting and retaining talent.
- Advances the competitive use of steel in traditional and growth markets.
The vision of the Institute and its members is for a sustainable American steel industry strategically positioned for growth and innovation and as a leader in the global marketplace.
- Steel is the material of choice in a growing number of applications, and markets for steel are expanding.
- The image of steel is positive. Steel is regarded widely as a high performance, contemporary engineering material continuously being improved to meet new market demands.
- Steel is viewed as a material with low environmental impact due to its recyclability and the industry’s efforts to minimize CO2 emissions through continuous development and deployment of new technology.
- The American steel industry is world-class and operates in an expanding market; it is aggressively securing market share from competing materials and imports; and the American steel industry is fully capable of taking advantage of opportunities in the global market.
- Steel industry customers rely on the American steel producers as a vital component of their success and are investing in manufacturing technologies that support a strong steel demand.
- Shareholders are enthusiastic about the industry and its products and prospects.
- Steel is an attractive industry for high caliber talent at all levels.
- Member companies and the American steel industry are growing, profitable, and respected in the global marketplace.
- The steel industry is recognized for its environmental, health and safety performance.
- The Institute is well known and highly regarded for proactive and timely deployment of innovative strategies.
- The Institute has highly capable staff members, who are respected for their strategic thinking and their effective implementation of plans and initiatives.
- The Institute spearheads initiatives that favorably profile the industry’s reputation as a global leader.
Subscribe to Our E-Newsletter
NEW STEEL UPDATE