AISI Releases September SIMA Imports Data

October 3, 2018

Washington, D.C. – Based on the Commerce Department’s most recent Steel Import Monitoring and Analysis (SIMA) data, the American Iron and Steel Institute (AISI) reported today that steel import permit applications for the month of September totaled 2,739,000 net tons (NT)*. This was an 8.7% decrease from the 3,002,000 permit tons recorded in August and a 7.6% decrease from the August preliminary imports total of 2,966,000 NT. Import permit tonnage for finished steel in September was 1,980,000, down 1.5% from the preliminary imports total of 2,010,000 in August. For the first nine months of 2018 (including September SIMA permits and August preliminary data), total and finished steel imports were 26,578,000 NT and 20,188,000 NT, down 10.6% and 12.1%, respectively, from the same period in 2017. The estimated finished steel import market share in September was 21% and is 24% year-to-date (YTD).

Finished steel imports with large increases in September permits vs. the August preliminary included light shapes bars (up 103%), hot rolled sheets (up 35%), plates in coils (up 24%), sheets and strip all other metallic coatings (up 22%), standard pipe (up 19%), and cold rolled sheets (up 12%).

In September, the largest finished steel import permit applications for offshore countries were for South Korea (239,000 NT, up 41% from August preliminary), Turkey (167,000 NT, up 40%), Germany (120,000 NT, up 7%), Taiwan (103,000 NT, up 27%) and Japan (94,000 NT, down 8%). Through the first nine months of 2018, the largest offshore suppliers were South Korea (2,340,000 NT, down 21% from the same period last year), Japan (1,068,000 NT, down 14%) and Turkey (1,007,000 NT, down 49%).

####

Contact: Lisa Harrison
202.452.7115 / lharrison@steel.org

AISI serves as the voice of the North American steel industry in the public policy arena and advances the case for steel in the marketplace as the preferred material of choice. AISI also plays a lead role in the development and application of new steels and steelmaking technology. AISI is comprised of 21 member companies, including integrated and electric furnace steelmakers, and approximately 120 associate members who are suppliers to or customers of the steel industry. For more news about steel and its applications, view AISI's website at www.steel.org. Follow AISI on Facebook or Twitter (@AISISteel).