The American Iron and Steel Institute’s Mission is to influence public policy, educate and shape public opinion in support of a strong, sustainable U.S. steel industry committed to manufacturing products that meet society’s needs.
To achieve our mission, AISI:
- Focuses on the advocacy of public policy issues central to the steel industry, issues where AISI can make an impact and issues where there is strong member alignment.
- Informs and educates opinion leaders about the U.S. steel industry’s strategic importance to national and economic security.
- Communicates the benefits that the industry’s technological advances are making to the health and safety of its workforce and to the environment.
- Collects and provides industry data to policymakers, company personnel and the public regarding steel operations, production, energy efficiency, shipments, import/export levels and consumption.
- Pursues technology advancements through Collaborative Research and Development.
- Assists member companies in attracting and retaining talent.
- Advances the competitive use of steel in traditional and growth markets.
The vision of the Institute and its members is for a sustainable U.S. steel industry strategically positioned for growth and innovation and as a leader in the global marketplace. The work of AISI is focused on:
- Making steel the material of choice in a growing number of applications, and to expand markets for steel.
- Advancing the understanding of steel as a high performance, contemporary engineering material continuously being improved to meet new market demands.
- Supporting and coordinating industry efforts to minimize CO2 emissions through continuous development and deployment of new technologies.
- Raising awareness about the fact that steel is the most recycled material in the world, more than all other materials combined.
As we pursue our mission, we aim to see:
- The world-class U.S. steel industry operating in an expanding market and aggressively securing market share from competing materials and imports.
- A highly competitive U.S. steel industry fully capable of taking advantage of opportunities in the global market.
- The steel industry recognized for its favorable environmental, health and safety performance.
- Customers relying on American steel producers as a vital component of their success and investing in manufacturing technologies that support a strong steel demand.
- Shareholders enthusiastic about the industry and its products and prospects.
- The steel industry perceived as an attractive industry for high caliber talent at all levels.
- AISI member companies and the North American steel industry growing, profitable, and respected in the global marketplace.