AISI Releases November SIMA Imports Data; Import Market Share 27 percent in November

AISI Logo Hypocycloid

For Immediate Release
December 7, 2016

Washington, D.C. – Based on the Commerce Department’s most recent Steel Import Monitoring and Analysis (SIMA) data, the American Iron and Steel Institute (AISI) reported today that steel import permit applications for the month of November totaled 2,862,000 net tons (NT)*. This was a 1.2% decrease from the 2,895,000 permit tons recorded in October and a 5.5% increase from the October final imports total of 2,713,000 NT. Import permit tonnage for finished steel in November was 2,274,000, up 0.8% from the final imports total of 2,256,000 in October. For the first eleven months of 2016 (including November SIMA permits and October final data), total and finished steel imports were 30,379,000 NT and 24,322,000 NT, down 16.5% and 17.3%, respectively, from the same period in 2015. The estimated finished steel import market share in November was 27% and is 26% year-to-date (YTD).

Finished steel imports with large increases in November permits vs. the October final included sheets and strip electrolytic galvanized (up 50%), hot rolled bars (up 50%), cold rolled sheets (up 26%), structural pipe and tubing (up 21%), line pipe (up 18%), reinforcing bars (up 18%), mechanical tubing (up 14%), sheets and strip all other metallic coatings (up 13%) and plates in coils (up 12%). Tin plate (up 13%) had a significant year-to-date (YTD) increase vs. the same period in 2015.

In November, the largest finished steel import permit applications for offshore countries were for South Korea (342,000 NT, up 24% from October final), Turkey (169,000 NT, down 24%), Vietnam (142,000 NT, up 28%), Taiwan (110,000 NT, up 15%) and Japan (104,000 NT, down 29%). Through the first eleven months of 2016, the largest offshore suppliers were South Korea (3,612,000 NT, down 22% from the same period in 2015), Turkey (2,246,000 NT, down 15%) and Japan (1,687,000 NT, down 20%).

* Monthly permit numbers provided to date may be understated, as entry documentation with the required import license number may be submitted up to ten days after imports have entered U.S. commerce.

Contact: Lisa Harrison
202.452.7115 /

Click here for a PDF version of this release.

AISI serves as the voice of the North American steel industry in the public policy arena and advances the case for steel in the marketplace as the preferred material of choice. AISI also plays a lead role in the development and application of new steels and steelmaking technology. AISI is comprised of 19 member companies, including integrated and electric furnace steelmakers, and approximately 125 associate members who are suppliers to or customers of the steel industry. For more news about steel and its applications, view AISI's website at Follow AISI on Facebook or Twitter (@AISISteel).