AISI Releases February SIMA Imports Data, Import Market Share 33 percent in February

AISI Logo Hypocycloid

For Immediate Release
March 4, 2015

Washington, D.C. – Based on the Commerce Department’s most recent Steel Import Monitoring and Analysis (SIMA) data, the American Iron and Steel Institute (AISI) reported today that steel import permit applications for the month of February total 3,774,000 net tons (NT)*. This was a 15% decrease from the 4,418,000 permit tons recorded in January and an 11% decrease from the January preliminary imports total of 4,250,000 NT. Import permit tonnage for finished steel in February was 2,966,000, down 13% from the preliminary imports total of 3,429,000 in January. For the first two months of 2015 (including February SIMA and January preliminary), total and finished steel imports were 8,024,000 NT and 6,395,000 NT, respectively, up 24% and 36% from the same period in 2014. The estimated finished steel import market share in February was 33% and is 33% year-to-date (YTD).

Finished steel imports with large increases in February permits vs. the January preliminary included reinforcing bars (up 56%), heavy structural shapes (up 38%), tin plate (up 35%) and sheets and strip hot dipped galvanized (up 16%). Products with significant year-to-date (YTD) increases vs. the same period in 2014 include cut lengths plates (up 124%), line pipe (up 83%), heavy structural shapes (up 78%), cold rolled sheets (up 62%), standard pipe (up 58%), tin plate (up 53%), oil country goods (up 43%), sheet and strip all other metallic coatings (up 28%), hot rolled sheets (up 27%), plates in coils (up 23%), sheets and strip hot dipped galvanized (up 22%), hot rolled bars (up 12%) and wire rods (up 11%).

In February, the largest finished steel import permit applications for offshore countries were for South Korea (474,000 NT, down 43% from January preliminary), Turkey (335,000 NT up 22%), China (255,000 NT, up 29%), Japan (213,000, up 1%) and Taiwan (141,000 NT, up 25%). Through the first two months of 2015, the largest offshore suppliers were South Korea (1,310,000 NT, up 59% from the same period in 2014), Turkey (610,000 NT, up 104%) and China (453,000, up 23%).

* Monthly permit numbers provided to date may be understated, as entry documentation with the required import license number may be submitted up to ten days after imports have entered U.S. commerce.

Contact: Lisa Harrison
202.452.7115 /

Click here for a PDF version of this release.

AISI serves as the voice of the North American steel industry in the public policy arena and advances the case for steel in the marketplace as the preferred material of choice. AISI also plays a lead role in the development and application of new steels and steelmaking technology. AISI is comprised of 19 member companies, including integrated and electric furnace steelmakers, and approximately 125 associate members who are suppliers to or customers of the steel industry. For more news about steel and its applications, view AISI's website at